Wednesday, February 25, 2009

this is why i want to do this

Today I had clinicals. As my alarm went off at 5:02 am, (james just came over and was reading this and wanted me to add that he had to get up at 4:45 am) I was immediately bummed that I had to go work on the surgical floor for 6 hours. I really haven't enjoyed clinicals yet. Wait, let me rephrase that, ... I haven't found my niche yet.



So today I had a great patient. She was in for pretty much the same thing as every other older person on the floor. So I got to work. I took her vitals, assessed her pain, gave her medications... Then my instructor asked me if I wanted to take out an NG tube. I didn't, but I said yes, of course I did. After I did it I saw how happy the patient was to have that thing out of her. It just made me feel good knowing that I had probably made that patient's day a whole lot better.

It is for days like today that I am in nursing school. It is for days like today that I get up everyday at 7:02 am so that I can make it to school by 8:30. It is for days like today that I know the decision I made when I was a little girl to become a nurse was the right decision.

0 comments: